When I removed the chicken wire separating the new girls from the existing flock, I placed cardboard around the outside of the run, to provide a screen from the wind and our colder weather. When I was doing that I noticed the bottom latch on the outer gate was not working properly, but: the inner gate was working properly. That's where the procrastination set in and I decided that I didn't have the tool on my to fix it, that I'd get back to it the next time I visited the coop.
Well, don't you know I walked out to the coop three times a day for the last 2 weeks and every time I saw it I said, "Oh damn, I forgot it again." Soon it became well that's a low priority item as it hasn't been a problem so it can wait.
Yesterday, I went out for the girls mid afternoon feeding and was greeted by a good majority of the girls outside of their run area and all over the side yard with the inner gate partway open. Fortunately, with the bond that we developed or maybe it was the jar of food I was carrying but they all came running toward me. I was able to walk into the run and they followed me.
Unfortunately, after repeated head counts, I was one girl short. There were no feathers around the yard so I guessed that one had jumped into the compost bin and probably went over the fence. I searched and searched the open desert on the outside of the yard but could not find her. I also did not find any signs of, if you'll pardon the expression, fowl play. I just hope that she made it to one of my neighbors farms and is roosting with their girls until I check with them tomorrow.
You can be darn sure that I fixed that latch lastnight.
I learned that when I see something that needs doing, repairing or replacing, just do it before it becomes a much bigger issue.
Thanks for dropping by and spending some time with us!